this weekend I had a Big Bunch of Travel. It was excellent.
Saturday went out for the express purpose of buying a Very Expensive Sewing Machine. I can’t wait until it arrives. and then I went to Queens, for a Tol celebration. viva la korean food! viva la friends from college!
then came the trains. are you ready?
- LIRR to Penn Station, Amtrack to Albany.
- first leg completed by my sweet brother picking me up at 12:20 AM.
- Then was the excitement of my hilarious nephew being shocked and thrilled to see me sleeping on the couch in the morning!
- And then came a lovely birthday breakfast for Meredith!
- and then came my first exposure to the Wii! According to Wii fitness, I am SEVENTY YEARS OLD. just sayin’.
- Then came more trains:
- Albany to NYPenn station, wherein we stopped 20 min. in to the trip in order to sit, dead on the tracks, while a mechanic was summoned because our brakes didn’t work. That’s right – OUR BRAKES. (the guy sitting behind me kept saying: how did we stop then?).
- oh, and right after we started moving again and I tried to get some tea in my mug [failure due to amtrak’s reluctance to use my reuseable mug], I had to listen to an awfully annoying conversation wherein gentlefolk were discussing how dirty mexico irrigates with sewage even though california was trying to help them out. Wow. I’d hate to see how california helps their RICH ENEMIES.
- Anyway. I was only 45 min. late to Penn Station.
- And then I took a subway that didn’t stop where I wanted it to and I had to walk through times square on a sunday afternoon.